These Mushrooms are quite rare, but the unique flavours and aromas that are in different varieties range from fruity, through to woody and spicy. However, if you can’t find these on their own for this recipe, use Mixed Mushrooms.
To serve 4
4 Slices of White Bread
4 Cod Steaks, each weighing around 175g
2tbsp Vegetable Oil
Salt and Pepper
4 Spring Onions, finely Chopped
225g Chanterelle Mushrooms (or Mixed Mushrooms)
1 Garlic Clove, peeled and Crushed
3tbsp Crème Fraiche
2tbsp Fresh Chives, finely Chopped
1. Remove the crusts from the Bread, and cut into a similar size and shape to the Cod Steaks.
2. Heat half of the Butter and Oil in a pan, and fry the Bread slices until crisp and golden on both sides, and keep warm.
3. Season the Cod, then coat with Flour. Heat the rest of the Butter in a pan, and then Fry the Cod for about five minutes on each side, until cooked through and golden brown in colour, before removing from the pan and keeping warm.
4. In the pan, add the Spring Onions, Mushrooms and Garlic, and cook off for around five minutes until the juices from the Mushrooms are starting to run. Stir the Crème Fraiche into the pan, and heat through gently, and mix in half of the Chives.
5. On a plate, place the Fried Bread (or croute) in the centre, then position a Cod Steak on top, then spoon some of the Mushroom Mixture on top of the fish, and some of the juices around the plate.
6. Sprinkle with the remaining Chives and serve at once.
Photo Courtesy of: laura padgett