All Recipes gives great tips on how to make a lighter version of your favorite recipes:
1. Think baked tortilla and potato chips instead of fried ones
2. Use low-fat or nonfat sour cream, mayonnaise, cheese, cream cheese and salad dressing instead of full-fat versions
3. Substitute evaporated skim milk or buttermilk in place of cream (for everything except whipping)
4. To thicken soups, gravies, and sauces, use purÃ©ed vegetables, mashed potatoes, or a slurry of cornstarch and cold water instead of cream or roux.
5. It’s a painless sacrifice to use leaner cuts of meat too: skinless chicken breast, pork loin, ground turkey breast and beef round and flank steak are all good choices.
6. Start turning to non-meat sources for some of your protein needs, too: beans come in all kinds of interesting varieties, as do tofu and soy-based meat substitutes.
7. Try whole grains in place of refined ones more often. You just may find that you prefer the taste of whole wheat bread, brown rice, bulgur, barley and quinoa over white bread and white rice.