I know we all have similar thoughts on our mind today, it being the anniversary of 9-11.Â I’m not good with dedications, so let’s eat NYFD style with this Bangers ‘N’ Beer recipe brought to us by Susan Lee.
- 15 English Bangers or your favorite type of sausages
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced thin
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 3 leaves fresh sage, bruised
- 10 peppercorns (unless you’re using spicy sausages)
- Ale or Porter (not lager or stout, no Budweiser!)
- Olive or vegetable oil
Prick the sausages with a fork all over (don’t use a knife, the holes will be too big).
Place sausages in a pot big enough to hold all of them.Â Pour over enough beer to completely submerge them.Â Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, simmer sausages for 30 minutes.
While sausages are simmering, slice onions and saute over medium high heat in a skillet into which enough oil has been added to just cover the bottom.
When onions caramelized, transfer to covered bowl to keep warm.
If you can fry all the sausages at once, go for it.Â I know fire stations have stoves that have 6 or 8 burners.Â Go for it.Â Heat a little oil in each pan over high heat until almost smoking and brown the sausages, about 2 minutes per side.
Serve with onions, mustard and HP Steak Sauce.