People seem to have a love hate relationship with eggs. Itâ€™s packed with nutrients and protein that builds muscles, but also contains cholesterol and albumin that clogs the heart and poisons the blood if ingested in huge amounts.
Then again, nutritionists and dieticians will always remind you of the word â€œmoderationâ€. Thereâ€™s nothing wrong with eggs, some say you should keep your egg consumption to a maximum of 3 eggs per week, and some will debate that one egg a day is okay. Iâ€™m thinking it is best to know where your health stands for you to know how far you can take your diet.
I like eggs for breakfast but of course I get tired of eating it the same way all the time. Doesnâ€™t matter if Iâ€™ve got the best back bacon or the juiciest of breakfast steaks to go with eggs. I just get the hibbie-geebeez if I have one too many eggs sunny side- up, scrambled, poached or hard boiled. I enjoy an omelette once in awhile, but that too can be a little too eggy for me every day.
And then I happened upon a recipe for Huevos Rancheros, or rancherâ€™s eggs. I instantly fell in love with it and canâ€™t get enough of it! I love the texture and the freshness of tomato salsa, avocados, and cilantro combined with refried beans, flour tortillas and the silky eggs topped with cheese. The Mexican flavour to it is just my kind of meal on a lazy Sunday when I can enjoy it for brunch with a mimosa! Now doesnâ€™t that sound like an egg-cellent breakfast idea?
HUEVOS RANCHEROS MEXICANA
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
2 green bell peppers, roasted, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and diced
2 yellow peppers, roasted, peeled and diced
4 ripe tomatoes, diced
2 limes, juiced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp cumin
2-3 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped and half reserved for garnish …
1-2 tbsp butter
6 flour tortillas
1 can refried beans
1 can black beans
8-10 oz cooked flank steak, sliced thin (optional)
1 can sliced black olives, optional
1 cup sour cream
3-4 cups shredded taco or Mexican-style cheese
1/2 cup sliced jalapenos, optional
1/2 cup guacamole
1. In a medium bowl, toss together olive oil and onions, peppers and tomatoes, lime juice and seasonings and half the cilantro. Puree a portion of the freshly tossed salsa and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, add butter. When melted, quickly cook each tortilla until soft. Wrap tortillas in paper towels and keep warm.
3. Heat refried beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Repeat the same with the black beans.
4. Huevos: poach eggs to your preference or traditionally over easy and set aside.
5. Reheat flank steak strips by giving a quick flip in skillet.
6. To assemble huevos, place a tortilla on a plate. Spread a thin layer of refried beans and black beans on the tortilla. If using meat, place thin pieces of flank steak on top of the black beans. Add a layer of the fresh salsa and carefully top with eggs. Garnish with olives, sour cream, guacamole, pureed salsa shredded cheese and jalapenos. Sprinkle with the reserved fresh cilantro and serve.
Photo Credit: framboise
Photo Credit: nooschi
Photo Credit: kaszeta