Sweet Onions with creamy ricotta, this posh vegetarian dish is so tempting that you’ll have to make more for the meat eaters.
It’s also quite healthy, and ready in just over thirty minutes, so very handy as an ‘Oops I’ve forgotten dinner’ dish, without anyone realising!
Serve as part of a Ploughmans Lunch, or in a large slice on a big spread of picky-bits, with a variety of other dishes.
To Serve 6
20cm Shortcrust Pastry Dish
1tsp Olive Oil
4 Medium Onions (Sliced)
3 Sprigs Thyme (leaves only)
50g Tin of Anchovies in Olive Oil (drained and finely Chopped)
1tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Leeks (Sliced)
125g Ricotta Cheese
30g Parmesan (Grated)
1. Heat the oven to 200 C or Gas Mark 6
2. Line the pastry case with Baking paper and baking beans, putting in the oven for twenty minutes, before removing the paper and beans, and cooking empty for another five minutes.
3. Heat the Oil in a frying pan, and add the Onions, Thyme and Anchovies, before cooking for ten minutes.
4. Add the Sugar and Leeks to the frying pan, and cook for a further ten minutes, stirring well to make sure it’s evenly spread.
5. Season the Ricotta to taste, and spread over the pastry base. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top, and then spoon the Onion mixture on top of this.
6. Bake for ten minutes, and serve.
Photo Courtesy of: Kirsten Loza