Succulent Chicken, Crispy Batter…party food doesn’t get much more appetising than this! Over time, you’ll work out how to adjust the tastes with different marinades – if you like softer chicken, add more lemon juice, if you like it crisper, add more oil and if you feel like experimenting, make some with chilli paste in the marinade.
1kg boneless chicken
5 tbsp olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
3 crushed garlic cloves
12 tbsp plain flour
Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
3 beaten eggs
Salt and pepper
1. Strip most of the fat of off the Chicken, before cutting it into chunks that are about 4cm thick, and a mixture of lengths.
2. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl, then add the chicken and mix well – use your hands to make sure that it’s fully covered
3. Leave to marinate for at least an hour in a fridge
4. Spread the flour on a plate, mixed with a pinch of salt and pepper
5. Take the Chicken out of the marinade, removing any excess.
6. Heat the oil to 180 C/ 350 F
6. Cover the chicken in the flour, and then in the beaten egg. Drop into the oil immediately. CAUTION: Make sure you’re very careful with this step. This is very hot oil, and can burn your skin very easily. If you’ve got a fryer with a basket, use that. If not, be extra careful. If you do get any burns, read this article
7. Fry for about 5 minutes, until golden brown, before taking out of the pan, and drying on a piece of crumpled kitchen paper