If thereâ€™s any sandwich on the face of this earth that I would never pass up on is a Philly Cheesesteak! Iâ€™ve never been to Philly, but I remember having watched one of these food shows on cable TV that featured all these great all-American favourites.Â It was love at first sight when I saw this tempestuous sandwich with slabs of meat, cheese and roasted peppers bagged with a big bunch of fries and onion rings. I had recurring dreams of that and I went on a mission to find local restaurants that had Â this mouth watering Sammie in their menus.
Unfortunately, none of them came close to the genuine article.Â Not even the way it looked. The ones Iâ€™ve tried were ….uh, letâ€™s just say â€“ a little too nice and healthy to look at. They looked immaculately healthy next to my ingrained visions of dripping grease that were just slapped on to a sandwich bun as this was food you can basically buy off a sandwich truck or kiosk in the streets of good ole America.
But I was determined to get my fix. Else, I already knew I was going to go on a replacement binge to make up for a craving I canâ€™t get a fix on. Fortunately, Google has always been my friend. And I found a lot of versions of a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. This allowed me a lot more room to play around as I am a confirmed sandwich junkie! I love sandwiches. Iâ€™m Asian, but truth of the matter is … Iâ€™m so seriously riced out for a long time now.Â I lived off Subway sandwiches for monthsÂ and I was always a happy camper after every meal.
I gave this easy recipe a fair try and oh,boy … it was a super sandwich and a sweet heart attack ! Â I hope you like it too.
Cheese Steak Sandwich
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sirloin round steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 green red and yellow peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 onions, sliced into rings
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hoagie rolls, or French rolls split lengthwise and Â very lightly toasted
- 1 bottle of Cheez Whiz + Â½ fresh milk or cream
- 1 (8 0z) pack of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and minced garlic. Cover, and refrigerate. Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute beef until lightly browned and set aside. Saute red and yellow peppers together with onion until they caramelize, and season with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are tender, and remove from heat.
- In a sauce pan, combine cheez whiz and milk and slowly mix together in low heat to make a thinner cheese sauce.
- Spread each bun with garlic mayonnaise. Divide beef mixture and pepper and onion mixture into the buns. Top with grated mozzarella cheese and toss into an toaster oven to melt cheese. Â Or, for something a little more Philly, hold the mozarella and slather on cheez whiz sauce instead. Sprinkle with oregano. Serve with fries and onion rings and your fave drink.
Photo Credit: theCSSdiv
Photo Credit: sashafatcat
Photo Credit: guccibear