This light pie crust comes out of the oven nice and crisp, and suits so many types of pie – both sweet and savoury.
Makes a ten inch shell
1 ½ cups Plain Flour
2 tbsp Sugar
½ tsp Salt (optional)
2 ½ tbsp Cold Vegetable Shortening
1/3 cup Cold Butter
¼ Cup cold Water
1. Mix the flour, shortening agent and sugar together. If you’ve got a blender, use this to make sure it’s mixed thoroughly.
2. Start to add the water. Add it in slowly, until you get pieces sticking together the size of a pea.
3. Roll out the dough to an even thickness, until it’s just an inch or two wider than the pan you’ll be using.
4. Place the flattened dough into the pie pan. Don’t worry if it breaks in small areas, they can be fixed by using some of the leftovers with a small amount of water to ‘seal’ the breaks.
5. Ready to be filled, and then put in the oven to cook!