It usually takes ages for Meringues to cook. For these little bites of heaven, you can forget that – they’ll be cooked in just thirty minutes!
Experiment with different fillings to act as the sandwich fillings – a mix of different berries are great, as are fresh fruits, jams or using a variety of sauces as dips.
To serve 4
2 Large Eggs
115g Caster Sugar
150ml Double Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 140 C or Gas Mark 1, and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Separate the eggs, and put the whites into a large bowl. Whisk until they form peaks – easiest with an electric whisk. As soon as they start to form peaks, you should stop, you don’t want to over-beat the whites.
3. Start to add the sugar slowly, whisking all the time, and with the last amount, add a few drops of Vanilla Extract.
4. Using a small spoon, place small piles of the mixture onto a baking tray, leaving plenty of space between each meringue. You should have enough mixture for around thirty meringues.
5. Cook in the oven for twenty five minutes before checking if they are able to be lifted off the paper. If any are still sticking, cook for five minutes longer.
6. Whip the double cream until it is thick, slice the strawberries and lay them out for people to either make into their own sandwiches, or make up already for people to eat off of serving trays
Photo Courtesy of: ZoyaChubby