- 1 small red onion, peeled
- 1-2 fresh red chilies, deseeded
- 2 handfuls of ripe red or yellow tomatoes
- 2 lemons
- Extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Around 4 large handfuls of soaked and cooked chickpeas
- AÂ handful of fresh mint, chopped
- AÂ handful of fresh green or purple basil, finely ripped
- 7oz feta cheese
First of all, finely slice your red onion. Once that is done, finely slice your chillies then roughly chop your tomatoes, mixing them in with the onion and chilies. Scrape all of this, and the juice, into a bowl and dress with the juice of 1 and-a-half lemons and about 3 times as much good extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste.
Heat the chickpeas in a pan, then add 90 per cent of them to the bowl. Mush up the remaining chickpeas and add these as well, they will give a nice creamy consistency. Allow to marinate for a little while and serve at room temperature.
Just as you are ready to serve, give the salad a final dress with the fresh mint and basil. Taste one last time for seasoning, you may want to add the juice from your remaining lemon half at this point. Place on a nice serving dish and crumble over the feta cheese.