Now, I know what you’re going to say, meatloaf isn’t really summer food.Â But IÂ tell you what, I have a soft spot for the dish & it goes great with thatÂ German Potato Salad recipe from earlier.
So, why don’t you just sit back & trust a girl.Â EnjoyÂ thisÂ Firestation Meatloaf recipe as well as your Labor Day weekend.
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 5 pounds spicy ground pork sausage
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach , thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 3 (4 ounce) cans sliced black olives, drained 3 cups pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 eggs
- 1 (1.25 ounce) packet meatloaf seasoning mix
- 1 pound pepper jack cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup ketchup, or as needed
Preheat the oven to 350 F or 175 C.
Place bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until bacon is crisp and onions are transparent. Drain off excess grease, and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, pork sausage, bacon and onions, spinach, olives, pistachio nuts, 1 cup of ketchup, eggs, and meatloaf seasoning until well blended. Pat meat into a loaf shape, and place in a large baking pan. A roasting pan will work well. Poke cheese cubes into the top of the loaf so they are completely covered. Brush remaining ketchup generously over the top.
Bake for 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, or until the internal temperature of the loaf is 180 F or 82 C.