This low-fat, low calorie alternative to the classic Macaroni Cheese is still filled with all the tastes and flavours of any other recipe you could find.
To Serve 4
100g Broccoli Florets
525ml Skimmed Milk
Â½ Small Onion
1 bay leaf
Â¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
Â½tsp Dried Mustard Powder
50g Grated Parmesan Cheese
125g Low-fat Mature Cheddar
1 Slice of Bread turned into Crumbs
1 Tomato, Sliced
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220 C/ Gas Mark 7.
2. Boil the Macaroni for thirteen minutes and drain, before cooking the Broccoli in a pan of simmering water for four minutes. Drain and rinse the Broccoli, before draining again.
3. Keep 3tbsp of the Milk aside, pour the rest into a pan with the finely sliced Onion and Bay Leaf, and heat until just before boiling. Leave aside for ten minutes, and then strain the milk into a jug, and rinse the pan out
4. Melt the better in the pan, add in the flour and stir it in, cooking over a low heat for one minute.
5. Remove the butter and flour from the heat, and mix in the strained milk.
6. Heat the milk until simmering, whisking all the time. When simmering, keep on the heat for a further two minutes.
7. Add in the Cornflour with the rest of the milk. Keep stirring, until simmering again, before adding in the Cayenne pepper, Mustard power, Parmesan and 100g of the Cheddar Cheese.
8. Stir in the Broccoli and Pasta, before pouring into a large oven proof dish.
9. Mix the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs, and sprinkle on the top, before laying the sliced tomato out on top, and bake for fifteen to twenty minutes.
PhPhoto Courtesy of: Steven De Polo