To get the crisp outer that youâ€™re craving for on this dish, make sure that the oven is hot enough before you put anything in â€“ turn the oven on at around 250C about an thirty minutes before you start to prepare anything, otherwise the pastry could be disappointingly soggy!
To Serve 4
3tbsp CrÃ¨me Fraiche
1tbsp Dijon Mustard
370g Packet Puff Pastry
350g Good Quality Ham, sliced
175g Gruyere Cheese, thinly sliced or grated
1 Egg Yolk, beaten
1. Mix the CrÃ¨me Fraiche and Dijon Mustard together well. Roll out a third of the Puff Pastry into a rectangle around thirty by twenty five centimetres, and place on a Baking Sheet.
2. Spread a third of the Mustard Mixture evenly across the pastry, leaving a centimetre border. Top with a layer of Ham, all of the Cheese, then another layer of Ham.
3. Spread the rest of the Mustard Mixture over the top of the Ham, then brush the Puff Pastry border with the Egg Yolk.
4. Roll out the rest of the Pastry to a rectangle around two or three centimetres larger than the base. Place over the filling, and press the edges firmly together, trimming any extras off if required.
5. Brush the top with Beaten Egg Yolk, and chill for fifteen minutes.
6. Cook the parcel at 220C for around twenty five minutes, or until the Pastry Base is cooked, and is Golden Brown. If it begins to burn around the edges, cover with some foil, then return to the heat.
Allow to stand for five minutes before sprinkling with Sea Salt, and serving with seasonal vegetables. You could also sprinkle some extra Cheese over the top five minutes before finishing in the oven, and leaving it to bubble and turn golden brown and crispy.
Photo Courtesy of: mrsdewinter