OK, OK, OK.Â I know I have been on a celebrity chef Rachel Ray kick lately, butÂ with EVOO actually being added to the dictionary, I couldn’t resist.Â This 30 Minute Meal Hungarian Sausage & Lentil Soup recipe will make your guests sit up & take notice!Â The delectable flavors in this recipe blend together marvelously & sit on your tongue with deliciousness.Â Made with that famous EVOO, you can’t go wrong!Â Enjoy!
- 2Â tablespoons extra-virgin olive oilÂ
- 1 1/2Â lbs bulk hot Italian sausageÂ
- 3Â garlic cloves, choppedÂ
- 1Â medium onion, choppedÂ
- 2Â portabello mushrooms, gills scraped out, choppedÂ
- 1Â cup carrots, shreddedÂ
- 1Â cup lentilsÂ
- 1Â large starchy potato, peeled and choppedÂ
- S & PÂ
- 1Â bay leafÂ
- 2Â teaspoons smoked paprika (or substitute a mix of 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon sweet paprika and 2 pinches cayenne pepper)Â
- 3Â sprigs fresh rosemary, intact on stemsÂ
- 1 (14Â ounce) can chopped fire roasted tomatoes or regular diced tomatoesÂ
- 6Â cups chicken stockÂ
- 1 (10Â ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and drainedÂ
In a medium sized pot, simmer lentils in chicken stock.
In a second pot, sautee sausage in olive oil.
Add garlic, onions and mushrooms to the sausage. Cook a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add carrots, lentils, potato, salt and pepper, bay leaf, paprika (or substitute mixture) and rosemary to sausage pot. Don’t worry about the woody rosemary stems – the leaves will fall off as it cooks.
Add tomatoes to sausage pot. Bring to a good rolling boil and boil for 15 minutes.
Combine the two pots.
Wilt the greens in and remove the rosemary stems. Let sit 5 minutes off the heat before serving.