Very simple, very elegant, and very fast to prepare – this is a great starter for so many meals, and served with the Coconut Rice, it can make a more filling dish.
The presentation of this dish is very easy to adapt to suit the uses more than you’d think – serve on the bed of Coconut Rice to add more colours to this dish.
To Serve 2
4 Large Scallops
8 Streaky Bacon Rashers, derinded
1 Large Courgette, trimmed
1tsp Balsamic Vinegar
1tsp Olive Oil
1tsp Lemon Juice
1tsp Dried Thyme
Salt and Pepper
1tbsp Desiccated (shredded) Coconut
100g Long-Grain Rice
1. Cut the Scallops into bite-sized pieces, and wrap a rasher of Bacon around each one – you may need slightly more Bacon, depending on the size of the Scallops.
2. Cut the Courgette into diagonal slices about one centimetre thick, and wash under running water. Pat dry with some kitchen paper
3. Thread the Bacon-wrapped Scallops and Courgettes onto Kebab Skewers, alternating between the two. If you’re using Wooden Skewers, leave them to soak In Water for about thirty minutes before using, and if you’re using Metal ones, you may want to slightly grease them first to prevent anything from sticking.
4. Combine the Vinegar, Oil, Lemon Juice, Thyme and Pepper, before brushing over the Kebabs. Leave to marinade for about fifteen minutes, or whilst cooking the Rice.
5. To prepare the Rice, bring a small pan of water to the boil, add the Salt and Turmeric. Add the Coconut and Rice, before bringing back to the boil, and simmer (uncovered) for twelve to fourteen minutes, or until tender.
6. Heat a grill up, and then place each Kebab under it, cooking for two or three minutes on each side, until the Scallop is cooked and the Bacon is slightly crisp.
7. Drain the Rice thoroughly, and serve on a warmed plate.
Photo courtesy of: Fuzzy Gerdes