Thinking of baking bread? It’s not as complicated as you may fear. Here are some tried and tested tips to getting that perfect golden loaf.
1. Place a small dish of water in the oven when you bake bread. This prevents the crust from becoming a dark, ugly brown or getting too hard.
2. Grease pans with shortening. Unlike butter or margarine, the batter won’t absorb it.
3. After you’ve baked the bread, rub the crust with shortening so they won’t become hard.
4. Control your water temperature. If it’s too hot it’ll kill the yeast. Check the temperature on your forearm.
5. Sift the flour.
6. If you use a gas pan, lower the prescribed temperature by 25 degrees.
Get great bread recipes from readers from around the world at All Recipes