This is a simple dish, great served as a starter, or even as a light summer lunch dish. Using a jar of mixed Mushrooms will give you a range of tastes and textures, but if you’re particularly fond of a certain Mushroom, then use more of that variety if you want!
To Serve 6
50g Wild Rice
Salt and Pepper
175g Onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and crushed
175g Celery, finely chopped
175g Carrot, peeled and finely chopped
700g Brown and White Capped Mushrooms, chopped
225g Jar Mixed Wild Mushrooms in oil
75g Toasted Hazelnuts, chopped
75g No-Soak Dried Apricots, chopped
6 Sheets Filo Pastry
1tbsp Sesame Seeds
4tbsp Chopped Fresh Chives
200g Crème Fraiche
1. Cook the Rice in boiling salted water until tender, before draining and setting aside.
2. Melt twenty five grams of Butter in a large pan then cook the Onion and Garlic for around ten minutes, until soft and brown. Add the Celery and Carrot. Fry for a further three or four minutes. Add another twenty five grams of Butter to the pan then add the Fresh Mushrooms. Cook uncovered for another fifteen minutes with no cover on, so that the all the excess liquid has evaporated.
3. Add the Drained Mushrooms to the pan, and cook for five more minutes. Remove from the heat, before seasoning to taste, and stirring in the Hazelnuts, Wild Rice and Apricots into the Mushroom mixture.
4. Butter one sheet of Filo Pastry with a small amount of melted Butter, then fold in half, then in half again – you should aim to end up with a sheet about nine inches square. Place a sixth of the mixture in the centre of the sheet, and gather up the sides to form a parcel. Press gently to seal shut, and then repeat with the rest of the sheets of Pastry. Brush the tops with Butter, and sprinkle with a small amount of the Sesame Seeds.
5. Place the Parcels on a warmed baking sheet, then bake at 190 C for twenty five to thirty minutes. Stir the Chives into the Crème Fraiche, and season to taste. Serve the Parcels on a plate with a spoonful of the Sauce.
Photo Courtesy of: randomduck