These shreds of crispy fried Chinese Greens are a superb addition to any Chinese meal â€“ theyâ€™re particularly good served as a starter, along with some Sesame Prawn Toasts and a Crisp Dry White Wine.
You can use different Nuts in place of the Peanuts â€“ try some Cashews, Toasted Peanuts, or even some Sunflower Seeds. Using a mixture of the Nuts and Seeds is also a good idea for a bit of variety â€“ as with every great recipe, experiment and youâ€™ll be able to tailor something to what you prefer personally.
To Serve 4
700g Spring Greens
600ml Sunflower Oil
1 1/2tsp Caster Sugar
25g Natural Roasted Peanuts, halved
1. Remove the thick stems from the Spring Greens, and wash the leaves well. Dry thoroughly, before removing rolling them together tightly, and shredding them finely with a very sharp knife.
2. Spread the Shredded Spring Greens out on kitchen paper, and dry again â€“ they must be completely dry before they go into the Oil for frying. If in doubt, leave them for a while sandwiched between two sheets of kitchen paper.
3. Heat the Oil up in a Large Wok or deep pan until it is just smoking. Remove from the heat, and add the Spring Greens, and stir well. Return the pan to the heat, and fry for about two minutes, stirring all the time.
4. Using a Slotted Spoon carefully remove the Fried Greens and place on a plate lined with Absorbent Kitchen Paper, and very carefully pat dry and leave to drain for a few moments.
5. Turn the Crispy Greens onto a warmed plate, and sprinkle with the Sugar and Salt (to taste) and the Nuts.
Photo Courtesy of: Avlxyz