Layers of Lemon and Coconut goodness, this dish is so decadent and delicious, youâ€™ll want to make more than one!
Very easy to make, and the Cake could last up to two weeks before going stale. Not that youâ€™ll be able to resist eating it all before then!
To Serve 10
6tbsp Lemon Juice
Zest of 2 Unwaxed Lemons, finely grated
100g Desiccated Coconut
300g Plain Flour
1 1/2tsp Baking Powder
1/2tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
4 Large Eggs
100g Unsalted Butter
100g Icing Sugar
300g Soft Cheese
1/4tsp Vanilla Extract
150g Lemon Curd
1. Heat an Oven to 180C. Grease and line three shallow cake trays, each about twenty centimetres across. Put the Milk and a tablespoon of Lemon Juice into a Jug and stir. Leave to stand for at least five minutes
2. Put four tablespoons of the Lemon Juice into a pan with seventy five grams of the Caster Sugar, heating gently until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, then stir in the Lemon Zest and Desiccated Coconut, before setting to one side.
3. Sift the Flour, Baking Powder and Bicarbonate of Soda together.
4. Cream the Butter and the rest of the Caster Sugar together, before beating the Eggs in, one at a time.
5. Fold the Flour and Milk Mixture into the Eggs, transfer to the baking trays. Level the tops off, and bake for twenty five minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Cool on a Wire Rack.
6. For the filling, cream the 100g Unsalted Butter with the Icing Sugar, before beating in the Soft Cheese, Vanilla and Lemon Juice. Sandwich the Cakes with the Lemon Curd and two thirds of the Filling. Spread the rest on top, and decorate if wanted.
Photo Courtesy of: jamieanne