A really simple, basic dish, that will people craving more of the tastes and textures that make this such an appetising meal.
You can serve with Rice or Noodles – depending on what you prefer. Try adding prawn Crackers to have as a side.
To Serve 4
3tbsp Vegetable Oil
800g Braising Steak, Cubed
2 Onions, Thinly sliced
2tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
1tbsp Tamarind Paste or Lime Juice
2tbsp Fish Sauce
850ml Coconut Milk
6 Cardamom Pods, Crushed
1small Pineapple, Peeled and Chopped.
1. Heat the Oil in a flameproof casserole dish, and brown the beef off before setting aside, making sure you keep as much of the juice and Oil in the pan as possible
2. Fry the Onions and cook for five minutes, before setting them aside with the Beef.
3. In the pan, add the Red Curry Paste, and cook gently over a low heat for a minute, then add the Tamarind paste, Fish Sauce, Coconut Milk and Sugar.
4. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
5. Re-add the Beef and Onions to the dish with the Cardamom Pods, then simmer for sixty to ninety minutes. Stir from time to time, and if it starts to become a bit dry, cover with a lid. Bare in mind that the dish shouldn’t have a lot of liquid with it, but it shouldn’t be very dry.
6. Add the Pineapple and cook for a further five minutes.
7. Check to make sure the dish is dry enough. If it isn’t, add a small amount of water or some extra Coconut Milk.
8. Serve with Rice or Noodles, and Prawn Crackers.
Photo Courtesy of: Avlxyz