Large chunks of soft, flaky fish, with a crisp sweet glazing. The home made Sweet and Sour Chilli Sauce suits this dish brilliantly, and couple it with a bed of Salad leaves as a starter, or with boiled New Potatoes and Fresh Green Beans as a Main course.
If you want the Sauce to be a little hotter, add some more Chillies, or leave some of the seeds in before you blend and leave them to marinade for longer.
To Serve 4
4 Whole Plaice Fillets, skinned and halved
Juice of 2 Limes
5tbsp Demerara Sugar
400g Red Peppers, deseeded and chopped
50g Red Chillies, deseeded and chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and chopped
2tbsp Olive Oil
6tbsp Distilled Malt Vinegar
1. Begin by making the Sauce. Ideally, youâ€™ll leave this to rest and marinade for at least an hour before serving, but you can always do it for longer. Place the Red Peppers, Chillies and Garlic into a blender along with two tablespoons of water, and process until smooth and paste-like.
2. Into a medium sized saucepan, add the Olive Oil, Sugar and Vinegar, and begin heating it, until it begins to boil. Once bubbles begin to form, add the Chilli and Pepper paste and simmer for around twenty minutes, or until the mixture has reduced by half. Pour into a jar or bottle, and then leave until chilled.
3. Sprinkle each half-fillet with a little Salt and Lime Juice, before rolling up and securing with a wooden cocktail stick, and set aside for half an hour. Before grilling, rub some Sugar over all.
4. Cook under a grill for four or five minutes, or until cooked through and the Sugar has caramelized on the outside
5. Serve fresh off the Grill, with the Sweet and Sour Sauce poured over.
Photo Courtesy of: adactio