Now that our taste buds are tantalized with the origins of this delicious stuff called chili, let’s get in the kitchen & get cookin’!
- 2 pds lean ground beef
- 46 oz can tomato juice
- 29 oz can tomato sauce
- 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup choppedÂ green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenneÂ pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Â 1/2 teaspoon cumin (my personal favorite)
- 1/4 cupÂ chili powder
In a large, deep skillet- cook ground beef on medium-high until evenly browned.Â Drain meat & set aside.
In a large pot- combine cooked ground beef, tomato juice, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, green & red bell peppers, cayenne pepper, sugar, oregano, black pepper, salt, cumin & chili powder.Â Bring to a boil on high heat.
Once mixture in boiling, reduce to a low simmer.Â Cover & simmer for 1 – 2Â hours, stirring occasionally & adding water if needed.
Now you are ready to enjoy a fine chili, maybeÂ withÂ some homemade corn bread muffins.Â Enjoy!