A delicious dessert to impress guests — and best of all, no baking required!
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
2 tablespoons rum
2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfinger cookies
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended.
2. Whisk in milk.
3. Heat over medium flame. Keep stirring until it starts to boil.
4. Leave to boil for one minute then remove from heat.
5. Allow to cool at room temperature then chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
6. In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
7. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
8. In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise and drizzle with coffee mixture.
9. Now it’s time to assemble the dish. Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a 7×11 inch dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set.