Small, soft and juicy, these golden caramelised treats are so succulent and flavoursome that youâ€™ll be making batch after batch and eating them as soon as you can.
Make them small enough to be party-treats, but big enough to get the slices of Apple on the top and when cooked, theyâ€™ll caramelise nicely!
To Make 12
2 Eating Apples
1tbsp Lemon Juice
250g Plain Flour
1 1/2tsp Baking Powder
110g Light Muscovado Sugar
70g Unsalted Butter, plus extra for greasing
100ml Apple Juice
1 Egg, beaten
2tbsp Single Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 200c, and grease a twelve-cup muffin tin, preferably a non-stick one.
2. Core and coarsely grate one of the Apples, and slice the other into half a centimetre thick wedges, and toss in the Lemon Juice. Sift the Flour, Baking Powder and Cinnamon, before stirring in seventy grams of the Sugar and Grated Apple.
3. Melt the fifty five grams of the butter, and mix with the Milk, Apple Juice and Egg, then stir In the Liquid Mixture with the dry ingredients, mixing lightly until combined.
4. Spoon the Mixture into the prepared muffin tin, then arrange two slices of the Apple on top of each.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for twenty to twenty five minutes, or until risen, firm and golden brown in colour, before running a knife around the edge of each bun to loosen, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. Place the Single Cream, forty grams of Muscovado Sugar and the remaining Butter in a pan, and heat until the mixture has dissolved. Increase the heat, boil rapidly for two minutes, or until slightly thicker and syrupy. Drizzle over the cakes, and leave to set.
Photo Courtesy of: jamieanne