Home-style Vietnamese cooking can be an extraordinary culinary experience.Â The fresh & tasteful ingredients are not soon forgotten.Â Let your taste buds soar with this Green Papaya Salad with Shrimp (Goi Du Du) recipe.
- 1/3 pounds large shrimp, cleaned, de-veined
- 2 tablespoons olive oilÂ Â
- Â¼ teaspoons saltÂ Â
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugarÂ Â
- 2 Â½ tablespoon fish sauce (nuoc nam)
- Â½ fresh Thai bird chile, finely chopped ( Â¼ tsp. chopped)
- 1Â tablespoon oliveÂ oilÂ Â
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 3 cups julienned green papaya
- Â¼ cup chopped fresh Vietnamese coriander leaves, divided
- Â¼ cup chopped fresh Thai basil leaves, divided
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped, unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
Heat a grill pan or grill. Place the shrimp in a bowl. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Grill until opaque in the center, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill, cool and slice in half lengthwise.
In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, garlic, sugar, fish sauce and chopped chile. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
In a small skillet or saucepan, heat the oil. Fry the minced shallots until golden brown. Drain and add to the fish sauce mixture.
Julienne the papaya or mangoes into thin, matchstick strips 2 inches long until you have 3 cups. Place in a large serving bowl or platter. Pour the dressing all over the strips, evenly coating them. Toss with 2 tablespoons coriander and 2 tablespoons Thai basil.
Top the dressed papaya with cooked shrimp and garnish with the peanuts, the remaining 2 tablespoons coriander and the remaining 2 tablespoons basil.