Taking the Stress out of Complex Cake Decorating Tips:
- 4 Days before: Make Frosting
- 3 Days before: Divide and Color Frosting
- 2 Days before: Make and Bake Cake
- 1 Day before: Frost and Decorate Cake
Store cake in the refrigerator. Cover completely with plastic wrap to prevent drying. Use toothpicks to keep plastic wrap from smashing icing.
Cake Baking Tips:
- Grease and flour your pan every time.
- Allow pan to cool 5-10 minutes before removing cake from pan
- If checking cake with a toothpick, check in multiple places. To insure there aren’t pockets of dough that aren’t finished.
- Wrap the outside of your cake pan with a wet towel before baking. Secure towel ends with safety pins. The wet towel will help the cake bake evenly, reducing the need to level the cake before decorating.
Frosting / Decorating Cake Tips:
- Always frost when cake has completely cooled.
- If using prepared frosting, or frosting that has sat for a while, whip 1-2 minutes before using.
- For an extremely smooth base frosting, measure 1-1/2 cups frosting and thin with 1-2 teaspoons light corn syrup.
- If using multiple colors of frosting on cake, mix frosting colors in small airtight containers before you start decorating.
- If using a fluffy frosting, it is best to frost the cake on the day it is being served.