A simple classic, updated and given a modern twist. The Onion and Cheese combination is very tasty mixture, and cooked until golden brown on top, it’s a treat for all the senses.
To add some colour to the dish use Red Onions instead of the more traditional ones that are used. This will also change the taste slightly, so try a combination of the two to get the right flavours.
To Serve 4
2tbsp Vegetable Oil
700g Onions, peeled and sliced
1 Garlic Clove, peeled and sliced
1tbsp Fresh Chives, chopped
1tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper
125g Spinach, roughly chopped
75g Gruyere, cut into 1cm Cubes
75g Edam, cut into 1cm Cubes
1. Heat the Vegetable Oil in a small frying pan – about nine centimetres across. Cook the Onions and Garlic with a lid on, for about twenty five to thirty minutes, or until the Onions and Garlic have caramelized and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
2. Beat the Eggs together with the Chives, Parsley, Salt and Pepper.
3. Take the Onion out of the pan, and replace with the Spinach. Stir over a very low heat until wilted and the extra liquid has evaporated. Return the Onions to the pan, and add the Cheese, before stirring until well combined.
4. Pour the Egg mixture into the pan, and allow to run through the Onions. Cook over a medium heat, and keep loosening the edges of the mix with a spatula. After three or four minutes (or when the mixture has set)
5. Cover the Handle with foil, then place under a grill for three or four more minutes or until the top is set and turned golden brown
Photo Courtesy of: jefferyw