Soft, juicy Chicken Breasts, with flavoursome Spinach, and a rich, gooey Ricotta Centre – very simple, yet very impressive and a sure-fire hit.
You can use a different type of Curd or Soft Cheese too in place of the Ricotta, so it may be worth trying a few varieties out!
To Serve 4
4 Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets
50g Frozen Spinach, chopped and thawed
175g Ricotta Cheese
60g Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
2tsp Nutmeg, freshly grated
Salt and Pepper
8 Large Spinach Leaves, fresh
150ml Dry White Wine
300ml Chicken Stock
50g Butter, chilled and diced
1. Using a very sharp knife, make a deep cut along the thicker side of the Chicken Breast to make a pocket
2. Squeeze any moisture out of the thawed Spinach, then place in a bowl. Mix in the Ricotta, Parmesan, Nutmeg, Salt and Pepper, and spoon evenly into the pockets of each Chicken Breast
3. Bring a pan of Salted Water to the boil, and add the Large Spinach Leaves, and remove straight away with a slotted spoon. Plunge into a bowl full of cold water to make sure that the colour stays, and to prevent any extra cooking. Wrap two of these leaves around each Chicken Breast, and tie with thin cotton to secure.
4. Position the Chicken Breasts in a large shallow pan before pouring over the Wine and Stock. Bring the mixture to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and gently simmer for thirty to forty minutes, until cooked. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, and keep warm.
5. Bring the remaining liquid to the boil again, and reduce the mixture by half. Remove from the heat, add the Butter, and season to taste.
Serve the Chicken sliced on a plate, sat on top of the sauce – or serve the Chicken Breasts whole, and serve the Sauce separately.
Photo Courtesy of: Mia3mom