Very quick to make, this dish is very simple as well. It’s hot, tasty and full of nutrition – a personal favourite after a weekend.
The Root Vegetables in the meal provide a heap of Carbohydrates – essential to give you energy, and the Bacon will provide a great amount of Protein which will help re-build any muscle tissue spent over the course of exercise.
To Serve 4
1 Large Onion
3 Garlic Cloves, roughly chopped
1/2tsp Crushed Dried Chilli, optional
4tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
110g Bacon, or 1 Packet Lardons
3 Large Potatoes
1 Parsnip or ¼ Swede or ¼ Turnip
Black Pepper, to taste
1. Peel and Chop all of the Vegetables into cubes, around one centimetre square.
2. Using a Large Pan with a lid, cook the Onion, Garlic and Chilli in the Oil over a low heat until the Onion is soft.
3. Cut the Bacon into similar sized pieces then add to the pan. Cook with the lid on for a couple of minutes, checking regularly.
4. Add all of the vegetables into the pan and stir until all coated in Oil – you can add more if needed.
5. Cook with the Lid on for a fifteen to twenty minutes, checking on a frequent basis. If the Hash starts to stick, then add a small amount of Water.
6. Remove the lid and turn up the heat, cooking until the Hash is crispy and there’s no fluid left in the pan.
7. Serve with a handful of Green Leaves such as Rocket or Baby Spinach – you could even place a poached Egg on top for added protein, colours and flavours.
Photo Courtesy of: joyosity