This Chinese Snack is becoming more and more popular in a wide range of western restaurants. The dumplings have a soft juicy filling, and are great to serve as a starter for a themed meal, or as part of a large buffet.
They take little preparation compared to how easy they are to make – you can also replace the minced Pork with Peeled Prawns, and sprinkle with some Sesame Seeds before you cook them. If you have a steamer, you can cook them in much larger numbers, and much easier, so you can produce more!
To Serve 4
150g Plain Flour
50ml Boiling Water
25ml Cold Water
2tsp Vegetable Oil
75g Minced Pork
3tbsp Chopped Canned Bamboo Roots
½ tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1tsp Dry Sherry
1tsp Demerara Sugar
1/2tsp Sesame Oil
1. Sift the Flour into a bowl, and stir in the Boiling Water, then the Cold Water and finally Oil. Mix together to form dough, and knead it until smooth.
2. Roll the Dough out into a sausage, and cut into sixteen equal sized pieces, and flatten into circles about five centimetres across
3. Mix the Pork Mince, Bamboo Roots, Soy Sauce, Dry Sherry, Sugar and Sesame Oil in a bowl, and then mix in the Cornflour.
4. Place a spoonful of the filling mixture in the centre of each circle. Pinch the edges of the dough together to form a little purse.
5. Line a steamer with a clean damp dish towel, and steam for five to ten minutes.
Serve on a bed of Lettuce, with some Soy Sauce and Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce.
Photo Courtesy of: Avlxyz