This cheats version of the classic dish is really simple, and really tasty. It’s a great dinner, and simple to make, so it’s great for a busy night.
Making sure that the potatoes are nice and creamy, the cheese very crisp on top, with the succulent flakes of fish will all amaze the eaters, and leave them wanting plate after plate.
To serve 6
1tbsp Olive Oil
2 Leeks (sliced)
275g White Fish Fillets (e.g. Pollack)
300g Smoked Haddock
300ml Cheese Sauce
150g Small cooked Prawns
4 Eggs (soft boiled, shelled and halved)
650g Mashed Potatoes
50g Grated Mature Cheddar
1. Heat the oven to 200 C or Gas Mark 6
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, before adding the Leeks and gently cooking for six to eight minutes, before removing and setting aside.
3. Place the White Fish, Haddock and Milk into the pan, and cover with a lid.
4. Bring to the boil, before leaving to simmer for five minutes, and then remove the fish from the pan and flake – making sure you remove any bones.
5. Keeping the Milk in the pan, add in the Cheese Sauce, and heat until Simmering. Return the Leeks to the pan.
6. Put the Fish and Prawns into a large ovenproof dish, lay the eggs out on top evenly, and pour the sauce (Leeks, Cheese Sauce and Milk) on top. Evenly spread the Mashed Potato on top, and cover evenly with Cheddar.
7. Bake for twenty to thirty minutes, until golden and crispy on top.
Serve with mixed vegetables, or with fresh, crusty rolls.
Photo Courtesy of Minor 9th