Nothing makes an English Tea break quite like these delicious Scones. Try to handle the dough as little as possible, to make them as light as possible.
To make 8
50g Caster Sugar
225g Self-Raising Flour
100ml Buttermilk (mix a little Lemon Juice with milk if you cannot find any)
3tbsp Whole Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 220 C/Gas mark 7, and line a baking tray with some baking paper.
2. Sift the Self-Raising Flour and Salt into a large bowl, before cutting the Butter into small pieces, before rubbing it in using fingertips, until it resembles small flakes. Add the 50g of Caster Sugar, and mix in.
3. In a different bowl or jug, mix the Buttermilk with the Whole Milk. Pour it into the dry mix all at once, and use a round-bladed knife to mix together. Combine evenly to make a soft dough mixture.
4. Lightly flour your hands and a work surface, before gathering all of the dough together, and pat it out until 2cm thick – try to touch it as little as possible, to make sure it’s as light as possible.
5. Using a 5cm pastry cutter, cut as many rounds as possible, and put each onto a baking tray, leaving a small gap between each one. Once you’ve got as many out as possible, roll the dough back together, pat it out again, and cut out more scones.
6. Bake for ten to twelve minutes, before removing and leaving the Scones to cool on a wire rack
7. Slice in half, and lay some Strawberry Jam and Clotted cream, as well as some Sliced Strawberries inside.
Photo Courtesy of: JamieAnne