A true classic Italian dish. These Sardines can be either grilled or barbecued, and personally I say that there’s nothing quite like freshly barbecued Sardines in this dish, especially when combined with the rich Tomato Sauce
To serve, you can present it in a number of ways – myself, I’d say having it in small chunks, served mixed into a bed of fresh cooked Spaghetti, garnished with some freshly chopped Parsley.
To serve 4
16 Small or 8 Large Sardines, cleaned and rinsed
3tbsp Olive Oil
Sprigs of Thyme
Salt and Pepper
Juice of ½ Lemon
1 Small Onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 Garlic Clove, peeled and finely chopped
450g Ripe Tomatoes, finely chopped
1tbsp Parsley, freshly chopped
1. Heat a tablespoon of the Olive Oil in a medium sized frying pan, and add the Onion and Garlic, frying gently until softened. Add the Chopped Tomatoes and Parsley, before seasoning to taste with Salt and Pepper. Cook without a lid on over a medium heat for ten to fifteen minutes, until the Tomato chunks are tender but not falling apart, and the Sauce is slightly reduced.
2. Whilst the Sauce is reducing, score the underside of the Sardines with a few diagonal cuts on each side. Brush with Oil, before pushing some sprigs of Thyme into each hole.
3. Sprinkle the Fish with Pepper and Lemon Juice, before arranging on a Grill Rack.
4. Cook for three to four minutes on each side, until cooked through, brushing with the Juices and leftover Oil.
5. Arrange on a plate, and serve with the sauce served over the top. Garnish with some Lemon Rind.
Photo Courtesy of: avlxyz