1 little chicken stock
6 tbsp butter
3 shallots, finely chopped
115g pancetta, or rindless lean bacon (diced)
150ml dry white wine
175g petits pois (thawed if frozen)
Salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese shavings to garnish
1. Pour the stock into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, before reducing the heat and leave to simmer gently
2. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the shallots and pancetta and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
3. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, until all the grains are thoroughly coated and glistening
4. Pour in the wine and cook, stirring constantly, until it has almost completely evaporated. Add a ladleful of hot stock and cook, stirring constantly until all the stock has been absorbed. Continue cooking and adding the stock, a ladleful at a time for about 10 minutes
5. Add the peas, and keep adding the stock a ladleful at a time for another 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed
6. Stir in the remaining butter, and season to taste.
7. Serve warm
Photo Courtesy of Pelican