Tuna layered with Garlic, Mushroom and Red Peppers, between Macaroni, all under a deliciously light crunchy topping.
If you’re not a big Tuna fan, replace it with cooked chopped Chicken, Beef or Pork, or with three or four hard boiled eggs, sliced up. And, if like me, you’re a cheese addict, add as much as you want, but you might want a mild tasting one rather than a stronger, more mature flavoured cheese.
To serve 2
125g Dried Macaroni
1 Garlic Clove, peeled and crushed
60g Button Mushrooms, sliced
½ Red Pepper, thinly sliced
200g Can of Tuna, drained and flaked
½ tsp Dried Oregano
1tbsp Plain Flour
2 Tomatoes, sliced
2tbsp Dried Breadcrumbs
30g Mature Cheddar or Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper
1. Cook the Macaroni in boiling Salted Water, with a tablespoon of Oil, until tender – around twelve minutes, before draining, rinsing and draining thoroughly
2. Heat the rest of the Oil in a Saucepan, and add the Garlic, Mushrooms and Peppers, frying over a medium heat until soft. Add the Tuna, Oregano and season to taste, before heating through.
3. Grease an Ovenproof dish and add half of the cooked Macaroni, cover with the Tuna Mixture, then layer with the remaining Macaroni.
4. To make the sauce, melt the Butter, then stir in the Flour for a minute. Add the Milk, then bring to the boil – simmer for a minute or so, until thickened, and season to taste. Pour the sauce over the Macaroni.
5. Lay the sliced Tomatoes over the Sauce over the Macaroni, then cover with the Breadcrumbs and Cheese – place in a heated oven (set at 200C) until brown on top, and piping hot through – around twenty five minutes.
Photo Courtesy of: zoyachubby