A Classic British dessert. Serve fresh out of the oven, with a large portion of Vanilla Ice cream, or swimming in a pool of Custard. The crisp, crunchy crumble on top is a delight when cooked just right – a heavenly treat for anyone.
The tartness of the Rhubarb, coupled with the sweet Ice cream, coupled with the range of textures, this dessert will become a firm favourite once you’ve tried it, and you can slightly adjust the quantities – for a sharper taste, add less sugar, and for a sweeter one, simply increase the amount of sugar included.
To serve 4
150g Demerara Sugar
250ml Orange Juice
60g White Sugar
1. In a bowl, rub the Flour and Demerara Sugar together, until they begin to look like Breadcrumbs.
2. In a pan, mix 250ml of Orange Juice with the White Sugar and heat, but do not boil.
3. Add the Rhubarb to the pan, and poach until slightly soft. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/ Gas Mark 4
4. Strain the Rhubarb off, keeping five or six tablespoonfuls of the poaching mixture.
5. Lay the Rhubarb in either a large ovenproof dish, or, alternatively into 4 smaller individual dishes. Pour one tablespoonful over each dish, or all into the one large dish.
6. Top with the crumble mixture, and put in the oven for around thirty or forty minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling slightly around the edges
7. Serve with a ball of Ice Cream.
Photo Courtesy of: SecretLondon123