This is a most fabulous bruschetta, I’m addicted to it. It does work best if you prepared the tomato mixture ahead and chill for a day.
- 12 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- S & P to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pd Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons Romano
Set oven to broil.
In a large bowl- toss together roma tomatoes, minced garlic, shallots, basil, lemon juice, S & P and 1/3 cup olive oil. Chill overnight if possible.
In a small saucepan- add 1/4 cup olive oil and slivered garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Toss garlic in trash, keep olive oil.
Slice Italian bread in small to medium size slices. Brush pieces with garlic-based olive oil. Add roma tomato mix. Sprinkle Parmesan & Romano cheese on top. Place in oven until browned and bubbling, about 2-3 minutes.