The spicy, crisp coating on this fillet gives a wonderful texture, and a flavour that is supremely satisfying. I’d suggest serving with some Roasted Vegetables such as Parsnips, Beetroot and Sweet Potatoes.
For Medium-Rare, cook for twenty to twenty five minutes – possibly the best way to have this dish. Increase by five minutes for Medium, then another five minutes for Medium to well done.
To serve 6
4tbsp Szechuan or Mixed Peppercorns,
4tsp Caster Sugar
4tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
1kg Beef Fillet
3tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Heat the oven to 220 C/ Gas Mark 7.
2. Finely grind the Peppercorns, and mix in with the Caster Sugar. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over a chopping board.
3. Evenly coat the Beef Fillet with the Mustard, before rolling in the Caster Sugar and Peppercorn mix, making sure you haven’t missed any patches, and that it’s evenly coated – or you might get a VERY hot mouthful!
4. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan until very hot
5. Add the fillet of beef and sear until the meat is golden brown all over – it should take around three minutes.
6. Place the Beef into an oven-proof dish, and cook in the oven for twenty to twenty five minutes.
7. Remove the Beef Fillet from the oven, and allow to rest for about ten minutes
8. Using a very sharp carving knife, slice into thin slices, and arrange on a large plate, before drizzling over with oil.
Photo Courtesy of: Avlxyz