A similar consistency to Shortbread, but that’s where the similarities end really. This recipe goes great with some home-made Ice Cream, or with some fresh fruit.
Store these in an air-tight container, and try to use within a week of making them – hence the small quantity that these are made in. They’ll still be edible after two or three weeks, but just won’t taste as nice.
To make 12 Biscuits
125g Butter, softened
60g Sugar, plus extra for dusting
180g Plain Flour, plus extra for rolling
1/2tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2tsp Ground Ginger
1/2tsp Ground Allspice
1. Pre-heat an oven to 180C, and line a baking tray with some baking parchment, unless you have one which is non-stick.
2. Mix the Butter and Sugar in a bowl until well combined and light and fluffy.
3. Sift the Flour, Cinnamon, Ginger and Allspice together, then beat them evenly into the Creamed mixture.
4. Spread some Flour lightly over a work surface, before turning the mixture out onto it. Knead slightly, then bring into a ball. Leave to harden slightly in a fridge for twenty minutes.
5. Flour the surface again, and flour a rolling pin. Roll the dough out to a thickness of one centimetre across.
6. Cut into fingers, or rounds with pastry cutters or knives. Lay out evenly on the greased Baking Tray then dust with Caster Sugar before leaving to rest in the fridge for ten minutes.
7. Remove from the fridge, and straight away place in the Oven for fifteen to twenty minutes, or until golden and cooked through, before leaving to cool completely.
Photo Courtesy of: Ambernectar 13