Nothing beats the taste, look and satisfaction of eating a home made pot pie. So easy to make, and can be frozen un-cooked for up to three months to make easier to cook for quick meals. Serve with fresh, seasonal vegetables for a great meal.
To Serve 4
3 Chicken Breasts
500g Chicken Stock
250g Chestnut Mushrooms
100ml Crème Fraiche
3tsp Flat Leaf Parsley
500g Puff Pastry
1. Poach the Chicken Breasts with the Chicken Stock for ten minutes.
2. Trim the Leeks, and slice them into thin half-rings, before adding and simmering for a further ten minutes.
3. Drain the chicken and Leeks from the liquid (but keep the liquid!), and dice the Chicken (the smaller the pots, the smaller sized pieces), before setting aside.
4. Boil the stock for ten minutes until it’s reduced. Measure out 300ml, and you can either save, or discard the rest.
5. Quarter the mushrooms, before cooking in a tablespoon of oil, and set aside.
6. Melt 25g Butter in the pan, add the flour, then gradually add the stock and heat until the mix is boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the Crème Fraiche, Parsley, Chicken, Leeks and Mushrooms.
7. Evenly spread into either four small dishes, or a single pie dish, and leave to cool. At this point, you can freeze it if you’d like.
8. Heat the oven to 200 C or Gas Mark 6.
9. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface, until 3-4mm thick, and cut out a large enough size to cover the dish, and a long strip to head around the rim of the pie.
10. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg, and bake for twenty five to thirty minutes, or until golden.
Photo Courtesy of Gtrwndr87