An ideal dinner dish for two people, this is a very quick and easy dish, which looks great and tastes superb – the mixture of textures in each Fritter is really enjoyable.
As an alternative, try replacing the Sweetcorn with Peas for a different colour, texture and taste, or use a variety of spices – Paprika goes very well with this dish.
To Serve 2
1 Small Onion, thinly sliced
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
200g Can Sweetcorn, drained
1/2tsp Dried Oregano
1 Egg, beaten
60g Edam or Gouda Cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat a tablespoon of the Oil in a non-stick frying pan, and add the Onion and Garlic, frying gently until soft and slightly coloured. Remove from the heat.
2. Grate the Potatoes very coarsely into a large bowl, mix in the Sweetcorn, Oregano, Beaten Egg, and season well with Salt and Pepper.
3. Divide the Potato and Sweetcorn mixture into two even-sized balls, and shape into two oval cakes. Heat the rest of the Oil in the pan, and then cook the Fritters gently for around ten minutes – making sure that they are brown underneath, and nearly cooked through. Keep them in shape with a spatula or palette knife.
4. Sprinkle each Potato Fritter with the Grated Cheese, and place underneath a medium heat grill, and cook until Golden Brown.
5. Waiting until the Fritters are nearly cooked, begin to Poach the Eggs.
Serve fresh from the Grill tray, with the sliced Tomatoes and Poached Egg on top of the Fritter, garnish with a Sprig of Parsley, and serve at once.
Photo Courtesy of: arvindgrover