Very simple, fast and sweet, this dish is really easy to make, and looks great after a little practice â€“ and of course, you can never practice too much with desserts!
Try using soft fruits â€“ such as Rhubarb, Gooseberries and Plums, and make sure that they are trimmed down to get rid of any stalks or leaves to make sure that they are nice and smooth throughout. Personally, I think you can’t go wrong with the different tastes that you get with the Rhubarb, as well as the range of colours that you get.
To Serve 8
175g Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting
100g Butter, diced plus extra for greasing
1 Egg, separated
Crushed Sugar Cubes, for sprinkling
600g Prepared Fruit, such as Rhubarb, Gooseberries or Plums
85g Soft Light Brown Sugar
1tbsp Ground Ginger
1. Sift the Flour into a large bowl, before adding the Butter, and rub together with your fingertips to create a mixture similar to Breadcrumbs. At this point, add the Water and mix to form soft dough. Cover and chill in a refrigerator for about thirty minutes.
2. Heat the oven to 200C and grease a baking tray.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface into a circular shape about thirty five centimetres across. Place on the baking tray, and brush with Egg Yolk.
4. In a fresh clean bowl, mix the Fruit with the Brown Sugar and the Ground Ginger, and pile into the centre of the Pastry. Fold the edges of the pastry in all the way around, and brush the top surface with the Egg White, and then sprinkle with the Crushed Sugar Cube.
5. Bake in the oven for thirty five minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Photo Courtesy of: garryknight