This dish takes very little time to prepare, but the results are outstanding if you leave them overnight to chill.
If you have a blowtorch, use it to caramelise the Sugar on top, failing that, use a very hot Grill, before leaving to set a little bit.
To Serve 4
500ml Double Cream
1 Vanilla Pod, split
6 Egg Yolks
120g Caster Sugar
100g Good Quality Plain Chocolate
1. Preheat an oven to 170C.
2. Begin to gently heat the Cream in a heavy-based saucepan, along with the Vanilla Pod.
3. Whisk the Egg Yolks and the Sugar together, then break the Chocolate into small pieces and add it into the Egg mixture.
4. When the Cream comes to the boil, pour it over the Egg and Chocolate mix, whisking it all the time so that the Eggs don’t become scrambled.
5. Pass the mixture through a sieve, then pour it into four or five ovenproof ramekins, then place in a baking tray. Fill the Baking tray halfway up with boiling water, then place in the oven for fifteen to twenty minutes – the time may vary, but that’s okay, each oven is different! You’ll be able to tell they’re done because they’ll be set on top, with a slight wobble.
6. Remove from the Oven, allow to cool then chill them in a refrigerator overnight.
7. When you’re ready to serve, sprinkle the tops with a small amount of Caster Sugar, then caramelise the tops with a Chefs Blowtorch or under a hot Grill. Leave to set for a couple of minutes so that it’s not going to burn your mouth.
Photo Courtesy of: avlxyz